I love playing with beauty products and its a habit my husband encourages because he likes that a new eye shadow or nail polish is a relatively cheap way to make me instantly happy (cheaper than buying me a pair of new shoes at least!) He even gifted me with both a Birchbox subscription and MyGlam subscription for Christmas so I can try new products each month (along with new shoes… he’s the best, really). As much as I enjoy trying new products out, there are a few that I instinctively reach for most mornings – my current beauty basics:
1) Chanel double perfection natural matte powder foundation – I’m naturally a bit tan (thanks mom and daddie) but in the winter my completion is more medium with yellow/olive undertones so I wear this in honey (120). I like the ease of powder foundation most days and find that this provides a matte finish on my combination skin. It’s really light and oil-free but provides light-to-medium buildable coverage.
2) Chanel les tissages de chanel blush duo tweed effect - I alternate between tweed brun rose (70) and tweed rose (30) depending on if I want more pink. I tend to pair (70) with Laura Mercier’s Rose Rendezvous Face Illuminator for a subtle brightening effect but even on their own, both shades provide a naturally luminous finish.
3) Chanel les 4 ombres quadra eye shadow – I love almost all of Chanel’s eye shadow quads but probably wear prelude (33) and enigma (19) most often. I like that its easy to mix and match the colors within each quad to create different looks and worn over 4) Urban Decay’s eyeshadow primer potion (holy grail!), they don’t budge. Seriously, I’ll walk to work in DC humidity and work a 12+ hour day and never need to touch-up!
5) Make Up For Ever aqua eyes – I line my upper lids and the outer portion of my lower waterlines in mat black (0L) and the inner corner of my eyes and lower waterline in champagne (23L). I’ve tried so many different supposedly “budge-proof” liners but keep coming back to this – I personally prefer it slightly to urban decay’s 24/7 eyeliners but I find the two to be very similar.
6) Anastasia tinted brow gel – A quick swipe of this gel in granite helps to fill in my sparse, Asian eyebrows while defining them. It’s the only tinted brow gel I’ve found that is the perfect not-to0-light not-too-dark color for my brows (even though they are black I find that true black brow gels look too extreme on sparse brows, granite is a greyish-taupe that looks much more natural on me)
7) L’oreal Paris voluminous million lashes mascara – Again, I have sad, short Asian eyelashes (wish it weren’t so expensive to maintain extensions!) but have been using this in blackest black on and off for over a year and like that it separates and lengthens with some volume as well. I think l’oreal makes the best drugstore mascaras – if I’m not wearing this, I’m probably wearing L’oreal voluminous false lashes mascara (similar formula but more intense) or L’oreal voluminous original mascara (most volumizing of the 3 but doesn’t separate as cleanly as the others). You may have noticed this is the 1 drugstore product on my go-to list – I’ve tried all the typical luxury mascaras (Dior, YSL, Chanel, Lancome, etc) but none of them have held my attention for more than a tube! A professional makeup artist recently recommended this mascara to me though, so it’s on its way for me to try out…
8) Philosophy ‘kiss me’ lip balm – I’ve used this lip balm since a friend introduced me to it in high school and its still one of my faves! Its very emollient with just a hint of color and perfect for swiping on as I run out the door!
What are your beauty basics? I’d love to know if we have any in common …